Saturday, October 01, 2005

England

(1) "Look, kids! Big Ben! Parliament!" So says Mr. Clark Griswald in European Vacation. After arriving in London and riding the tube into the city ("This train is for Cockfosters!"), I walked, somewhat aimlessly, through Hyde Park. Finally, I settled into Astor's Hyde Park Hostel, dropped off my bag, and spent the rest of the day cramming in a few sights. There was a glorious, sunny sky, and I was more than happy to walk around in the brisk air. First on the list was Trafalgar Square, followed by a visit to this big-clock-looking-thing. Really, though, I must say that it's rather impressive. Look, kids!

(2) Across the stree (more or less) from Big Ben and Parliament sits Westminster Abbey (The Collegiate Church of St Peter, Westminster), a stuctural masterpeice that dates back to the 13th century. I never bothered to take a propper tour because, quite frankly, I just didn't care all that much. However, it was quite nice from the outside, and I managed to have this shot taken by, apparently, a man with one leg. Thank you, good sir, for this wonderful photograph.

(3) Stupid human tricks at the Tower Bridge - David Blaine lived in a glass box for 44 days. As lame as it sounds, and, trust me, it WAS lame, I stood there for the longest time, staring up at that idiot as he read a book. Clearly, Mr. Blaine needed some distraction. Unfortunately, propper security had finally been set up to prevent further egg-throwing incidents. Damn.

(4) Welcome to Abbey Road. It's very funny to visit this famous Beatles site, as small groups of tourists loiter around the crosswalk, building up the courage to walk across the street for a photo. Eventually, one tourist turns to another and offers that they take each other's pciture so they can get the hell out of there. A few quick snaps are exchanged as passing cars slow down for this never-ending parade of idiots. The city actually installed flashing lights on either end of the street, warning drivers to mind the tourists. Anyway, here's a little Photoshop picture I created. I'm a horrible person.

Back to Europe
Back to The Pure Life (Home)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home